Homemade Mayonnaise: 2 Steps, Fast and Delicious
Homemade mayonnaise is so easy, fast and delicious that once done you’ll wonder why you ever bought it. All you need are half a lemon, a raw egg and olive oil. Using an immersion blender, it takes about one minute to reach the point where the emulsion won’t absorb another drop of oil. And if you make it in a wide mouthed jar, you don’t even need to transfer it from one vessel to another.
Homemade Mayonnaise – 3 Ingredients, 2 Steps, 1 Minute
Here’s what you do:
- Put two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a raw egg into a wide mouthed jar or a bowl. If you like, add a pinch of salt.
- Whiz with an immersion blender to combine, and then continue whizzing as you add approximately 3/4 cup of olive oil in a fine stream. Keep going until you can’t add any more oil.
That’s it! It will take you about 1 minute to make a thick and creamy mayonnaise.
Sometimes I add 1/2 a teaspoon of mild mustard before I start blending, but essentially all you need are those 3 ingredients: lemon juice, an egg and olive oil. Once made, homemade mayonnaise will store in the fridge for at least a week.
Do make sure you use Olive Oil and not Extra Virgin which is usually too bitter. And if you don’t have a lemon, you can substitute with another acid, such as apple cider vinegar. But lemon juice, I think, is best.
Mayonnaise is to savoury foods what whipped cream or coconut cream is to sweets – it makes everything taste good. We love it as a dip for pinzimonio, strips of raw vegetables such as fennel, carrot, radish and endive. It’s brilliant with fried sardines and salmon, and as a topping for boiled eggs, of course. And it forms the base for tartare sauce, and for a coleslaw dressing.
Hope you love this recipe for Homemade Mayonnaise. When you make it, be sure to take a photo and tag me on Instagram. And if you love it, please pop back and give it a rating. You’ll find this recipe in my collection, “Easy & Essential Paleo Recipes for Busy People.”
Real food, radiant health, beautiful life. Be inspired with weekly tips, Free Printables and the Reset Guide.
Bloggers are full of gratitude for their reader’s support. Do you know how your gestures help?
- When you like, comment on and share my posts on Social, you help spread the word about natural health by activating the algorithms.
- When you purchase from my shop, you help me flow with the financial aspects of website maintenance and life.
- When you “enter” Amazon through one of my affiliate links, such as the one in the side bar, I earn a small commision (while you never pay more), and I love returning this to followers as a giveaway or gift.
Altogether, this means that I can keep my blog free of annoying and irrelevant advertising. And most importantly, it means that the information here continues circulating, and continues to be free for all.
Thanks. Your support is much appreciated, and I return the love.
Homemade Mayonnaise - 2 Steps, 3 Ingredients
- immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3/4 cup olive oil approximately, you may need a little more
- Place the lemon juice and egg into a wide mouthed jar or bowl. Add a pinch of salt, if you like. Whiz with the immersion blender to combine.
- Continue whizzing as you slowly add the olive oil in a fine stream. Keep going for about 1 minute, until the mayonnaise has become so thick that it won't take any more oil.
- Be sure to use Olive Oil and not Extra Virgin which will be too bitter.
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- If you don't have a lemon, you can make it with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.