Real Simple Grain Free Granola – Paleo, AIP
Grain Free Granola is so easy to make at home. This recipe is super simple because it’s been stripped back to basics. Coconut flakes are sweetened, toasted and made crispy with a mashed banana, cinnamon, maple syrup and a little coconut oil to bind. That’s it. Slow roast it in the oven for a couple of hours, then let it sit overnight. In the morning you’ll have a lovely, crunchy granola that won’t trigger the digestive distress of those shop bought, grain based types.
Grain Free Granola, Add What You Like
The beauty of a homemade grain free granola is that you can add what you like, before or after the baking. I prefer to follow this recipe exactly as it is because being simple means that it’s easy to digest. When serving, I might add dried fruit and nuts – currants, cranberries, dried apple, chopped dates and figs,hazelnuts, slivered almonds, crushed walnuts. But you can also stir the additions into the mix before baking so they stick to the cocconut.
Because granola is quite sweet, I don’t make it very often, but there are two times of the year when I find it’s a lovely treat: Spring time, and for Christmas. In Spring, it’s gorgeous for a special breakfast or brunch. And for Christmas, with cranberries, dried apple and hazelnuts, it adds a nice touch to the morning.
But of course there’s no need to limit it to breakfast. Metabolic health is so important, so our first meal of the day is always – apart from special occasions – complete protein. We usually eat eggs, in one way or another, as they’re sustaining and nutritious. So, you’ll usually find us eating our homemade granola with fruit salad as a top-up after lunch.
If you love this recipe, be sure to grab a copy of Easy & Essential Paleo Receipes for Busy People. It’s a compilation of my favorite recipes, the ones I cook all the time.
When do you eat Granola? For breakfast or as a snack? What do you love adding to it? Let me know, and when you make this recipe, take a photo and tag me on Instagram, @angie_b_quality_life .
Before you go, don’t forget to download your Free Guide on how to Reset your Health.
Best Wishes, Good Health and Happiness.
Real Simple Grain Free Granola
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 banana medium sized
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 150°C / 300°F
- Place the coconut flakes and shredded coconut into a large bowl and mix together.
- Place the coconut oil and maple syrup into a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until the oil has melted.
- Mash the banana with a fork. Add the melted oil and cinnamon. You should have half a cup of sweet, sticky paste.
- Pour the paste over the coconut. Using 2 spoons, mix thoroughly so that all the coconut is coated.
- Tip the mix into a non-stick slice tin (or line the base of a tine with parchment paper). Spread it out and give it a shake to settle it.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then give it a toss.Turn the oven down to 100°C / 250°F and bake for another 45 minutes. Keep an eye on it, and turn the temperature down if it looks like it's turning too brown. When the time sounds, turn the oven off and let the granola cool completely. Don't worry if it still seems a bit soft. It firms up and becomes crunchy as it cools.
- When cold, if it isn't as crisp as you'd like it to be, simply bake for another 30 minutes at 100°C / 250°F.
- Store in an airtight jar or container.